Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Seeing is believing, or maybe it is the other way around?

When I hear that saying, my mind wanders back to the movie Santa Claus. The boy holds up a magic globe ball and asks his fathers girlfriend to look into it. A sleigh soon flies across it out of no where, almost as if magic. Do you have to believe things in order to be able to see them? Or do you have to see things before you see it? I know that I believe in things in order to see them. Take this for example. Many people do not believe in ghosts and think they are not real. I quite honestly believe in them and there is a good reason why I do. I was alone in my room one night, half asleep, when something strange caught my attention. I rolled over to see what I thought was just my house coat on my door. I sat up and stared at it for a long time. After a while I got really scared and started noticing that the house coat was indeed not a house coat. It had a face, very light, and had a body, althought some parts were not completely visible. I blinked a few times and hoped that it was just my imagination running astray but alas, it did not leave. It sort of limped over to my closet and turned around, then disappeared. I strongly believe it was a ghost of some sort. I did believe in them before but now I believe a lot more now. You can believe in many things that you might not have seen before. You can believe in Santa Claus, even though you have never really seen the real thing. You can believe in the Tooth Fairy but yet some how you never really manage to catch a glimpse of her. You believe in love but you cannot see the actual emotion. Sure you can see the result of love, happy couples, marriages are results of love and children are too but the emotion itself you will never be able to see. Another good one is God. Millions of people around the world believe in God and yet, again, no one has seen the real thing. We all believe the events in the bible were all true and actually happened. Again, we have not seen complete proof that they all have and we all still believe very strongly that they did and do not like to be proven overwise. My last thing is heaven and hell, or an afterlife in some way. Do you believe in one or the other? Other people out there do and there is no evidence of either. How do we know that when we die we will go someplace better, or in some cases, worse, than where we are now? How does anyone know that? Yet there are people out there who would argue very strongly that there is something after this life, that we do go somewhere when it is all over for us. We will never know if there is or not, but for now, all we can do is believe.

2 comments: